This article is going to briefly talk about Phishing attacks and how they affect millions of users every day.
Well, to clear things out, we are not talking exactly about fishing, where you go to a lake and catch fish. But guess what? This Phishing is very similar to that. How? Let’s see.
So what is phishing? Phishing is a way of obtaining sensitive information such as usernames and password, bank details or any other personal information for wrong reasons. For example, the next time you open your facebook page, it might be a fake page and when you enter your username and password, they might be going to someone else.
There are a number of ways how a phishing attack works. Even though you do not need to know the details of these attacks just yet, let us at least look at what they are:
- Spear phishing – targets individuals
- Clone phishing – cloning an authentic mail
- Whaling – targets big bosses of a company etc
So how do you protect yourself from these attacks?
- Well firstly, when you use your computer next, please update your antivirus. If you don’t know how to do it, ask someone at home – maybe your dad or mom
- Always check the address of a website when you open it. I mean it doesn’t make sense for the name to be different here does it?
- Never open any email from an unknown person. Remember how your parents told you not to talk to strangers, well the same applies here as well.
- And most importantly, do not share your username passwords with anyone, including your friends. Even your home wifi password should only be known by you and your family. If anyone else knows it, well change it today!!!
Please remember these things and stay safe online.